The History of Omega Psi Phi Fraterniy, Inc.
On Friday evening, November 17, 1911, three Howard University undergraduate students, with the assistance of their faculty adviser, gave birth to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. This event occurred in the office of biology Professor Ernest Everett. Just, the faculty adviser, in the Science Hall (now known as Thirkield Hall). The three liberal arts students were Edgar Amos Love, Oscar James Cooper, and Frank Coleman.
From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning "friendship is essential to the soul," the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. The phrase was selected as the motto. Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance, and Uplift were adopted as cardinal principles. A decision was made regarding the design for the pin and emblem, and thus ended the first meeting of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.
The next meeting was conducted on November 23, 1911. Brother Edgar A. Love became the first Grand Basileus (National President). Brothers Oscar J. Cooper and Frank Coleman were selected as Grandkeeper of the Records (National Secretary) and Grandkeeper of Seals (National Treasurer), respectively. Eleven Howard University undergraduate men were selected as charter members.
Alpha Chapter was organized with fourteen charter members on December 15, 1911. Love, Cooper, and Coleman were elected the chapter's first Basileus, Keeper of Records, and Keeper of Seals, respectively.
On March 8, 1912, the previously submitted fraternity constitution was rejected by the Howard University Faculty Council. The Faculty Council proposed to accept the fraternity as a local but not a national organization. The fraternity refused acceptance as a strictly local organization.
Brother Oscar J. Cooper became the fraternity's second Grand Basileus in 1912. Cooper authorized the investigation of a proposed second chapter at Lincoln University, Pennsylvania.
Edgar A. Love was elected as the third Grand Basileus in 1912 and served until 1915. In 1914, Howard University withdrew its opposition, and the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on October 28, 1914. Beta Chapter at Lincoln University was chartered in February 1914.
Phi Omicron History
The Phi Omicron Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated was chartered on November 1st, 1949. (Grandson Phelps, Percy Steele, John Williams, Louis Wideman, Luther Crawford, James Nobel, E.B. Singleton) in San Diego California. Phi Omicron is the 4th oldest 12th District Graduate Chapter, with distinguished men of all walks of life. The rich traditions of Phi Omicron are exhibited through our members who serve many roles in the Armed services, Medical profession, Judicial system, Clergy, Educators Engineers, Business, and more.
The mission of the Phi Omicron Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity is to be the foremost fraternal organization in San Diego to serve both the Professional and the private community, with professionalism, and brotherhood.